Every once in a while, I have cravings for ice cream. Good thing Baskin Robbins is just a few blocks away from our apartment. The bad news? I have gained 5 kg (11 lbs) since I came to Korea in 2010. I’ve tried several so-called “healthy” diets to trim down a few kilograms, but darn it, I just love ice cream soooooo much! T.T Well, ice cream is just one of the reasons why I will never succeed on my diet, but because I’m taking some meds that, according to the doctor, might make me fat, I’m trying to cut calories from eating too much dessert and snacks.
If you happen to be an ice cream lover like me, you don’t have to give up ice cream… totally. You just eat it in moderation… half cup serving, not a whole pint! Also, choose ice cream that is lower in sugar (15 grams or less), and has less calories and fat content (120-130 calories or less under 5 grams of saturated fat and low in cholesterol). Look for the label that says LIGHT ICE CREAM. I’ve been looking for Dreyer’s Edy’s Slow Churned here in Korea, but haven’t found it being sold in either Homeplus or E-mart. (If you know where I can buy it here in SK, puh-lease… let me know.^^)
My husband and I found this light ice cream from TESCO. It’s usually on sale in Homeplus. It’s low in sugar, calories and fats and it’s also labelled as suitable for VEGANS. I’m not a vegetarian nor do I have the desire to be one, but TESCO’s light ice cream for vegans will do. The taste isn’t bad. My favorite flavors are “cherrylicious” (120 calories per 1/4 cup or 55 g serving) and “caramella” (125 calories per 1/4 cup or 55 g serving). Caramella tastes like McDonald’s hot caramel sundae. ^^
My husband is crazy about chocolate, so he likes “chocolatino” (120 calories per 1/4 cup or 55 g serving).
Besides our personal faves, there are other “interesting” flavors to choose from, but I suggest you leave vanilla in the freezer. There’s nothing special about the vanilla light ice cream. It’s good for making smoothies though. (Some flavors may not be available in Korea.)
FYI: They’re still on sale. ^^
- Korean Snacks: What’s Your Favorite Korean Chocolate? (chrissantosra.wordpress.com)
- Why I will Never Succeed on My Diet (chrissantosra.wordpress.com)
- It’s Tea Time! (chrissantosra.wordpress.com)
- Some Korean Food That Will Make Your Mouth Water (chrissantosra.wordpress.com)
- Some Korean Food You (Probably) Can’t Stomach (chrissantosra.wordpress.com)
- Jamoca Almond Fudge is Baskin-Robbins April Flavor of the Month (shoppingblog.com)
- How To Make Ice Cream At Home (answers.com)
- Best Chiquita Banana Ice Cream Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Tasty Selecta GS Vanilla Almond Ice Cream (richlyblessedmauve.wordpress.com)
- Ideas For Homemade Ice Cream (ronmedlin.com)