It’s getting warmer in South Korea. It seems as if we will have an early summer. Today, before heading to my Korean language class, I had a sudden craving for 팥빙수 (patbingsu: shaved ice dessert similar to halo-halo in the Philippines), but I couldn’t find any coffee shop or a restaurant that sells it near the center, so I opted for a cold drink instead. I saw some girls enjoying their bubble tea, so I also got me one.
Bubble tea is a tea-based drink that originated from Taiwan. It is also called pearl milk tea, because it comes with chewy tapioca pearls. In the Philippines, we call it Zagu or pearl shake. Other names include boba drink or boba ice tea, boba nai cha or zhen zhou nai cha (in Chinese), black pearl tea, tapioca ball drink, BBT (short for Bubble Tea) and PMT (short for pearl milk tea).
Bubble tea can be fruit-flavored or mixed with milk. Some shops have the fruit-milk tea, so you can enjoy both blends. =)
Here in SK, they have hot bubble tea. In the Philippines, we have only cold bubble tea. I don’t like plain hot or with ice. I prefer smoothie. It’s very refreshing. ^^
In my country, bubble tea or Zagu, as we call it, costs around 40 to 60 PHP (1082 to 1623 KRW) (97 cents to 1.46 USD) depending on the size and flavor. Here in SK, it’s triple the price or more for a small cup!
I have tried caramel, chocolate and taro bubble tea before, but they didn’t please my palate, so today my choice was blueberry yogurt bubble tea smoothie. I love blueberry-flavored drinks! ^^
My choice wasn’t so bad, but I prefer the taste of Zagu. Philippine bubble tea is sweeter, richer and has more tapioca pearls.
Perhaps, I’ll try another flavor one of these days.
Have you tried bubble tea? What is your favorite flavor?
- Naengmyeon: Cold Noodles (chrissantosra.wordpress.com)
- Tesco’s Light Ice cream (chrissantosra.wordpress.com)
- Happy birthday to me!😀 (jellyvedemape.wordpress.com)
- Milk Tea & Pearl (diaryofmodernsocialite.com)
- Bubble Tea (lkhengmun.wordpress.com)
- What’s The Fuss About Bubble Tea? (mabelkwong.com)
- Guava Milk Tea @ Bubble 88 (bbthaven.wordpress.com)
- Thai Iced Tea Macaron and Pearl Milk Tea Macaron (macaronlaboratoire.wordpress.com)
- Bubble Tea Recipe / How to make Boba at home! (abeautifulmess.typepad.com)
- How to make tapioca pearls from scratch (vietfoodchannel.wordpress.com)
- Summer Must: The Mighty Halo-Halo (crampedquartersx.wordpress.com)
- Halo-halo cake (ireport.cnn.com)